This week I was AFK in the Grand Canyon. I stayed in touch with my collaborators by checking my text messages for updates on the project and followed the updates that were being made online via the GitHub issues.
Before I left for the Grand Canyon I was assigned the task of transitioning the routines section of our mock up website to our Play Framework Application. I used the Play Framework applications we had created in class to learn how to transfer the simple mock up version of the site to a functioning in-memory database with forms and backing classes that functioned.
I ran into a few problems when I committed my changes and merged them back into the milestone-1 branch. I had to do some clean up. Now when I push changes, I always sync both branches with the repository before merging them. This has resulted in less surprises and a cleaner process.
I returned from the Grand Canyon to review the updates that had been made to the system. I tested the system on mobile devices. I found about 7 bugs and posted them as issues on GitHub with screenshots showing the bugs.
Play With Magic is an online repository of magic routines.
The most valuable part of this milestone was to seed the application with real information. We created an application that allows users to create, read, update, and delete routines and sets. The three components of the application are:
The initial mock up of the application showed what our application would look like. Mark, Patrick, and I met many times over Skype with professional magicians Lee Asher and Wayne Houchin. Lee talked about how much he wanted to be able to learn more about magicians’ interests and influences. Wayne advised us to focus on the energy that a magician’s set is meant to create.
After Mark, Patrick, and I met to discuss the new things we had learned. I was guilty of wanting to pivot the application somewhat to support mentorship on the website. But I was happy that we were able to focus on completing milestone-1 by sticking to our initial goals.
Once we had these in the in-memory database functioning properly we started seeding the Routines database with professional routines we found on the following websites:
This first milestone showcases the basic functionality of the website. Our group came up with the initial idea of creating a website that allows magicians to create sets. As we talked to professional magicians many new ideas for the application came up.
Play With Magic could be updated to allow amateur magicians to request help with their routines and sets from professional magicians.
Meeting on Skype versus meeting in person has been very productive. Meeting in person and coordinating a physical location to meet was problematic. Meeting on Skype, on audio, has worked out well and provided us with a way to meet and ask questions to clarify the goals of the project. I found that tagging issues and assigning them on Github made the process of keeping our tasks manageable.
I would like to focus on the look of the website for the next milestone. We also need to focus on linking the related routines that each magician has created. For milestone 1 we focused on creating the CRUD capabilities for Users, Routines, and Sets. I’m happy we were able to create the system to add and edit new content for the site. I would like to focus on making the materials in our routines reusable. Tagging capabilities will also allow us to provide search functionality for our users.